Thursday, April 14, 2022

Result Oriented — Not moving forward is a waste of time

Photo by Jenny Hill on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


I say I am result oriented in almost all interviews. But I never knew what it really meant.

Recently, my understanding got into a deeper level, under the pressure of work.

Result oriented means getting things done no matter the cost.

This means Not moving forward effectively is a waste of time.

Photo by Charlie Egan on Unsplash

To me, among many things, it means leaving behind all “enjoying” or “self-appreciating”aspects of work.

Sometimes, my interests would push me off the tangent to look at something not directly related to work at hand. I need to stop that.

Sometimes, I stop to appreciate my work, be it a great slide, a smart idea, or just some words I said. I need to stop that.

Sometimes, I got into tasks that are not important and spent too much time on it, just for “completeness” or “perfection”. I need to stop that.

Sometimes, my mind is absent on a task, even though I am physically on that task. I need to stop that.

But worse of all, sometimes, I convince myself I have enough time to do this slowly and I can afford to invest my spare time into work. I need to stop that.

It is critical to get rest and recharge if I am to stay for the long term. Or at least, that time can be spent on more important tasks.

  • Learning new things and skills is more important than getting the minor formatting correct
  • Thinking about what else we can do to further our proposal is more important than thinking back and forth on whether a slide should be included or not
  • Talking to people is more important than getting some unimportant work done. They are best left undone anyway.

…..

Photo by Isaac Smith on Unsplash

So be result-oriented means getting things done! 

Done, not necessarily perfectly, not necessarily using up all the time I can squeeze out, not necessarily on paper, not necessarily making myself feel good.

Think about the end goal and go directly at it. And then get some rest and recharge, or continue the next task or learn new things which will be invaluable in the future for me.

 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment