Sunday, November 12, 2023

I always pay my debt

Photo by Towfiqu barbhuiya on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here! 


I paid out 25K SGD last week to clear my “debt”.

Story was complicated, but I did not have to pay that “debt”.

  • Legally, there was no obligation whatsoever
  • Morally, I lost ~100K SGD (4x the debt) because I did not get paid for the work I delivered during Covid, for which my “Creditor” was partially responsible
  • Logically, it was not really “debt” because I never received the money promised to me
  • Expectation wise, I was sure that my “Creditor“ did not expect me to pay him back
Photo by rupixen.com on Unsplash

But I paid it anyway. 

  • First of all, this clears my conscience. I would rather I being the one at loss.
  • Secondly, even though I am not rich, I can afford it.
  • Thirdly, this might increase my relationship with him and might open further opportunities. This is a big “might” and I am not counting on it.
Photo by rc.xyz NFT gallery on Unsplash

Of course, I did not do it without major struggle.

  • Money is a primary goal for me.
  • To accumulate money, I am so frugal on myself and my family that it is not to my liking.
  • This money could allow me to buy a lot things that I want, but I am not allowing myself to buy.
Photo by Alexander Mils on Unsplash

Will this be a right decision at the end of the day? I do not know. 

But as a principle, I would rather people owe me, than the other way around.

For now, I need to focus on increasing my ability to earn and manage money.


Till next time!

2 comments:

  1. Being debt free gives you a peace of mind. Can always earn back the money.

    ReplyDelete