Monday, April 6, 2020

What goes around comes around; What comes around goes around

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here.


Today I would like to share with you something that just happened to me last Friday, which made me really want to be helpful to others.

Last Friday, about lunch time, my mentor and good friend gave me a call and wanted me to take his place as speaker in an online sharing event.

The event is one in a series, organized by the world's No.1 firm in this domain and dedicated to senior "Director" level professionals. Participants need to pay to attend and each speaker will get a pretty sum for their service. Of course, that money will come to me and he was very clear on that.

He said he picked me for two reasons.

Firstly, he believed that I could manage it. He had seen me deliver trainings in the past few weeks and he had even taken the initiative to gather feedback from the audience of those trainings. Apparently, the feedback was not too bad.

Secondly, he wanted me to gain more exposure and also get better in giving speeches etc.

I really could feel that he wants me to grow as fast as possible and take on bigger roles and responsibilities. And he is doing what he can to help.

He shares all his resources with me, even though I am not in a position to be able to utilize them yet. And he brings me along in his projects, both professional and personal ones. For sure, I can help him in those projects, but I am also sure that he has many others willing to help him, some of whom are surely better than me. So I am really grateful.

I ask myself sometimes too why he is helping me this much. Well, for sure, he is not "too free" like I was in my previous job. haha...

Thinking back the journey we took together since we met, I think it really came down to personal trust.

We were lucky to work together in the top-tier consulting firm. After that, he came to Singapore to work and I helped him as much as I can in terms of logistics and emotional support. And earlier when I needed a job, he immediately offered me one and oversaw the process to make sure the official offer came as quickly as possible in the "Virus" situation.

With every step we took together, we just felt closer to each other. Not only I trust him to look after me and he trusts me to be a reliable friend and team member, not only we find our ambitions and viewpoints agreeable, there is also something more. I believe we will keep working together as long as we have something to work on.

Another aspect that solves my confusion is when I read that many great leaders helped others become great leaders after them. For example, Intel founder, Bob Noyce helped Steve Jobs in the early days of his career and then Steve frequently helped Larry Page before he passed away.

So I guess great minds are just like that. They help people. Maybe what happened among the great leaders is more noble than what is happening between my mentor and me. My mentor and I are close. I am not sure how close the great leaders are or were.

I am inspired!

I will get as prepared as possible for the sharing event, not only to deliver a good show, but also to help the participants as well as I could.

Going forward, I will also keep in mind that I can and should help others. Maybe it is time to look for my own mentees. After all, we all grow old someday.

Truly, What goes around comes around; What comes around goes around!


Till next time!

4 comments:

  1. Alamak! I tot this was about makan discounts & 1-for-1.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to meet a gui ren :) I am waiting for mine...

    ReplyDelete