Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Quick updates

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here.

This post is going to be some quick updates of my life. Overall, I think things are good.


1. End of the tunnel

The challenging engagement ended about 2 weeks ago. It was a relief to the whole team, but at the same time, it could have ended in a better way. So we felt we could have done many things better.

We had a wrap-up session, where everyone summarized the learning etc, and we moved on.

However, immediately afterwards, there was a clear drop in the team's morale. I just couldn't help noticing it. What's worse, it was not only the members. Leaders were included too. I was included as well.

I guess we were all tired and at the same time, rethinking how we could best add value to our clients. And what came with that was a drop in confidence. I can see that when team started asking whether we could actually deliver that when opportunities present themselves.

This was good. What we needed to be careful about was not letting those thoughts limit ourselves, or worse become our excuses to avoid challenges. And I was worried about just that.

However, after those 2 weeks, I started to see people on their toes again, me included. Therefore, that drop of confidence was just temporary and people were rationale enough to realize there would be no escape from challenges if they want to be responsible for themselves.

I kept asking myself whether I should do something to motivate the team over the past two weeks. Now, I feel lucky that I did not, because I really did not need to. People can take care of themselves. After all, all work was completed as required.

As a new manager or leader, much is still to be learnt. I am glad that I am growing.


2. I never imagined that I would want to get out of my home

What normally happens is my wife and kids force me to get out of our flat and take them somewhere, even that somewhere is just the playground downstairs. I never imagined that day would come when I could not wait to get out.

This is exactly what is happening now after 4 months of staying at home.

And my two sons want to go to school so badly. They woke up very early today to get prepared. And my younger son was sad that he had to wait for another week before he could go to school.


3. Visa not in the "Urgent" category

Got official words from the Embassy that my visa was not in the "Urgent" category. So the wait will continue. Hope this thing ends soon.


4. First payment, Yeah!

Received my first payment as freelancer today. It was not a lot, but a good start.


5. My first sharing as an expert to ~200 Manager/Directors

Also, tonight 8-9:30 is going to be my first online sharing as an expert to ~200 managers and directors. I am grateful for the opportunity and excited for it.

I have prepared quite a bit and hope it goes smoothly!


Till next time!

4 comments:

  1. Hope the sharing went well. I would imagine it would be more nerve wrecking to stand at an actual podium than on zoom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Owlcents!

      It went very well. I had two days to prepare for it after all. We even brought in some leads to try out the diagnostic tool we mentioned in the sharing.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. How long did it took you to get a response on your Visa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two days after I submitted the application form. A staff from the Embassy gave me a call. I did not really expect them to respond so fast.

      Delete