Thursday, February 10, 2022

Different level of conversation

Photo by Akson on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here. 


I witnessed a different level of conversation recently.

A consultant in my team got very high-level contacts with the client.

From Day 1, people have been saying that he has good client contacts. But I never expected the contacts to be so high-level — literally at the top!

So in our daily meeting, a senior partner, a partner and a consultant were discussing who should take who (the few top executives of client) out for lunch and validate what key hypothesis on their strategic directions.

The rest of us, especially me as the manager, pretty much were clueless. I could not even attach each name to a face.

Photo by Avi Richards on Unsplash

All my career up till now has been focused on doing the work. And I believe it will continue like this for quite a while. And I believe it should.

But the conversation was no doubt a very clear reminder for me to start thinking about the shift:

  • Not necessarily doing a lot of work myself, but leveraging the team and control the quality of the work
  • Start building on client relationship
  • Start to be more strategic and directional

All in all, I need to be part of that conversation when it happens next time.

But I am not there now. 

Worst still, my current train of thoughts and mindset does not allow me to put enough focus on that either.

This needs to change. I need to worry less about what I am worrying now and start going up.


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment