Thursday, February 3, 2022

Face ID with Masks! Finally, but what took them so long?

Photo by David Grandmougin on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


1. Exciting News!

Face ID with Masks is available now in the beta test for IOS 15.4 released on Jan 28th. 

Based on the early tests conducted by testers and posted online, it works quite well, even with glasses.

Finally!

It is so annoying to have to type in the password every time I go out, especially for payment. I am so frustrated that I have been seriously thinking about switching to Android.

So you can imagine how excited I was when I read about the news. I spent about one-hour searching for when the official version would be available and whether it would be recommendable to download the beta now.

Conclusion: NOT recommendable if you are using the device as a daily driver.

So I stayed put. But still, definitely something to look forward to!

2. What Took Them So Long!?

After the initial excitement, I could not help wondering what took them so long? 

We are two years into COVID!

Apple did not bring the Touch ID back and offered no solution other than buying a new Apple Watch.

Well, conclusion: typical Apple. Not sure any other consumer product company would be able to do this.

Also, Face ID with Masks will not be available for iPhone 11 and earlier series. Again, typical Apple — want those shinning new features? Money please.

It just reminds me how Apple just removed charger and earphone from the Apple package because Apple wants to save the world, instead of giving the choices to its customers and making its customers feel responsible and appreciated, which I think Xiaomi did really well. You can read more here.

Photo by Daniel Romero on Unsplash

3. We Cannot Blame Apple

The only reason Apple could do this is their superb products and lack of real competition.

They had the right strategy and put in the investments and efforts to develop the products and the ecosystem that is embedded. Of course, they ought to be rewarded.

So we cannot really blame Apple. It is their right.

For me, I enjoy using iPhone for the most part. And now Face ID with Masks is coming. 

I will suck up and keep my iPhone 13 Pro Max.

 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment