Thursday, November 24, 2022

I am a slow reader and it is ok!

Photo by Thought Catalog on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!

 

I read very slowly. 

Despite several trainings, I still read every word (pronounce it silently) and I still keep going back to re-read the paragraph I just finished.

It used to bother me a lot.

Time is scarce and there are too much to read. Why cannot I read more effectively?

But when I consciously increased my reading speed, I felt tired and I did not feel that I had read and understood the book.

After a few tries, I gave up and settled with my current speed.

But from time to time, I am still angry with myself for not being able to read faster.

Recently I got to know that a senior who I admire a lot also reads slowly.

That gives me much comfort, not only because he shares the same problem, but also because of his 3 attitudes towards reading.

  1. Reading should not cause anxiety. If we read slowly, so be it. Do not feel the anxiety or need to read faster. We should feel peace while reading.
  2. Reading should be continuous. The key is to keep reading. We need to get into a habit of reading — find good books, read at our own paces and keep at it. Even if we only read a few pages per day, we will experience the benefits.
  3. Reading should involve thinking. This is not only about extracting the content of the book, e.g. by making a mind map. We have to connect the content of the book to our reality. Only when the book deals a blow to our perspectives and beliefs, do we get connected with the book and author. This is how we learn and improve.

This applies not only to books, but also to blogs, magazines, research papers etc.

To us all readers!

 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment