Tuesday, November 2, 2021

VR Update — Disappointing, but I still ordered

Photo by XR Expo on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here! 


Over the weekend, I had some time to catch up on the VR news.

Nov was supposed to be biggest month ever for VR, at least on the consumer hardware side.

But to me, it turned out to be a big disappointment.

With 4 launch events in like two weeks, you would think there would be some exciting advancement, especially with the Oculus leak after the announcement of HTC Vive Flow.

In a way, there was, but definitely not the way I expected.

Lets see how they disappointed.

  1. HTC Vive Flow has amazing form factor, but what it can do in gaming is so limited. This is ok for me as I never had high expectations to begin with. 
  2. Varjo Aero is so close to the best of what we can expect now. But it costs a fortune. I am not ready to spend 4000 dollars on VR just yet.
  3. Pimax is really exciting, with all the specs built in and the affordable price. Guess what, we have to wait until the same time next year to get our hands on them…
  4. Oculus (or should I call it Meta) is really disappointing though. The stuff they released after the launch of HTC Vive Flow and all the speculation afterwards got me so excited. I was sure we were going to get the updated Quest with similar form factor to HTC Vive Flow. I was ready to pay double the price of Quest 2, even with the same specs as Quest 2. But No….Apparently that was too much to ask for.

It is so freaking disappointing. 

Why the hell does the tech has to develop so slowly for mainstream consumers? It has been more than 10 years since the initial hype.

Photo by Vinicius "amnx" Amano on Unsplash

But I still went ahead and ordered QUEST 2.

I was thinking about whether to buy it and I heard about the planned launches. So I waited, only to be disappointed.

GTA and some other popular titles are coming to Quest 2 platform, so I guess Quest 2 will still be relevant for some time.

From my research, the biggest concern for the purchase is that I wear glasses. And it does not seem to be very friendly to people who have to wear glasses.

The rest of the concerns, like having to purchase better head strap, facial foam etc, I am ok with.

I am ready to invest 500–600SGD for the experience.

Photo by James Yarema on Unsplash

Now that I have placed the order, I am a bit excited to be honest after the disappointment with the launches.

Finally, I am about to get my hands on VR gaming. 

I still remember how excited I was after seeing the Youtube video of Onward gameplay like 6 years ago.

This is life, making things work subject to various restrictions, both internal and external.

Stay tune!


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment