Tuesday, November 16, 2021

VR — First Experience

Photo by Minh Pham on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


The Oculus Quest 2 I ordered arrived. 

The experience has been great so far.

1.Unbox

It arrived around noon. I was rushing to finish some work.

But I could not take my mind off it.

Luckily, I could squeeze out one hour in the mid afternoon to do the unboxing.

It was actually smaller and lighter than I had thought. Good!

Upon checking the items, I noticed two potential problems:

  • There was a scratch on the left controller
  • The top of the front cover of the headset wiggled a bit, while the bottom was very solid.

Amazon apparently had a lot of returns, just like Lazmall. So this might be another refurbished returned set.

But I did not care that much as long as it worked fine.

Photo by Vinicius "amnx" Amano on Unsplash

2.Set-up

I read the instructions and watched a few set-up videos very carefully so that I would not do anything stupid.

The instructions suggested to full charge the battery before setting-up.

So I connected it to the charger and went back to work.

In the evening, I had time for the set-up.

It was incredibly easy. 

The headset detected my floor very accurately and the boundary drawing was intuitive and again worked perfectly.

I tried different rooms and drew multiple boundaries. And the headset remembered them all and could switch automatically with no problem.

The mobile app made things much easier as well, especially in the beginning before I got used to the control in VR.

Photo by Remy Gieling on Unsplash

3.Wearing

I encountered none of the worries which I had anticipated.

When I ordered, I worried about whether my glasses would fit and whether my glasses would scratch the headset lenses.

To my surprise, they were no problem at all.

My glasses could just fit into the headset and with the glass spacer provided in the package, my glasses were quite some distance away from the lenses.

So I just started using it, instead of waiting for the rubber spacer which I had originally planed.

But anyway, I guess we would stop caring soon enough after the first time…haha

Photo by XR Expo on Unsplash

4.Experiences

It is mostly great!

Being able to see the VR world as I moved and interact with objects by physically moving my hands, as opposed to click some buttons on keyboard felt superb!

And I was really surprised how well the tracking was, evening the movement.

When I walked in the real world, I moved in the VR world. 

Man! At that point, I really wanted a big house.

But mostly, I needed to use the controller to move around. Otherwise, I would keeping hitting the walls…

Also, bear in the mind that this was just the “starters”, like some “first contract” to introduce me to how things would work in VR. 

I have not gone into the serious gaming yet. That would be another separate post.

Photo by Gabriel Santiago on Unsplash

5.Concerns so far

The big problem was really clarity.

Clarity was so easily ruined with glasses. 

  • I would very often dirty my classes just by putting on the headset, because the glasses got squeezed and touched my eyebrow etc. 
  • Sweeting would make that so much worse. 

So after some play time, even in air-conditioned rooms, I usually had blurry pictures, sometimes to a point that I could not tell a person from a pillar. And I would be emptying a whole mag on a pillar while the enemy came up on me from behind.

I guess I would probably need to get some prescription inserts if I really want to make this work.

The another problem is motion sickness.

After playing games or even watching some videos, I just do not feel comfortable, especially in the stomach.

But I have not given up yet. I guess it would take some getting used to.

Photo by James Yarema on Unsplash

In the end

All in all, VR is a great piece of tech. 

And thanks to Oculus for bringing it to the convenience level and pricing level of the Quest 2, so that more people can enjoy it.

However, it is not perfect. None of the headsets available right now is.

And I am still disappointed how slowly the hardware is developing.

But hope is there. I look forward to the hardware to come and the experiences they will bring.


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment