Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Life is a choice entirely. Well almost!

Photo by Sarah Dorweiler on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here! 


It just occurred to me that life is almost entirely our choice.

No matter how good one’s life is, there is always something to complain about. No one would think their lives are perfect, at least most of the time anyway.

On the other end, no matter how bad one’s life is, there is always something to be grateful for.

Therefore, it is almost entirely our choice how we go about life.

There are people who have everything but never feel enough.

There are also people who have so little but feel so grateful and happy about what is going on around them.

It hard to say the former has a better life than the latter.

Photo by Brian Yurasits on Unsplash

How about me?

I find myself having a range within which I am constantly moving.

I do complain, especially on the financial side of things.

The opportunities I have missed are worth multiples of our total net-worth which we have worked so hard and saved so hard to accumulate and they are enough to put us well in financial freedom already.

At the same time, I do feel grateful.

While I lost precious opportunities, that is nothing like “terminal sentence” where I am denied to all subsequent opportunities. I am denied to some for sure, but luckily not all.

As a matter of fact, new opportunities never stop coming to me. For some, I would be denied to them; for some, I would let them go; for some, I would try my best to grab them. At the end of the day, maybe I am lucky to grab one or two.

That is something to be grateful for.

And people who trust me never stop helping me. And in the process, I get to know more great people and I would be working hard to earn their trust and prove my value to them.

Again, this is something to be grateful for.

Photo by Gabrielle Henderson on Unsplash

Therefore, I am constantly moving along the line on a day by day basis.

Luckily, in my opinion, the range is manageable as it never goes to the extreme.

But I do notice that things generally work out better if I am on the “Gratitude” side.

The other thing I try to do is not let the emotions affect my actions.

No matter where I am in the range, I try to maintain clear priorities and act on them.

This, however, does consume self-discipline and will power.

Therefore, all in all, it is beneficial to me to be on the “Gratitude” side.

However, I do not forcefully put myself on any side. I have learned to leave buffer in my life, including room for wastage of self-discipline and will power.

Photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash

In the end

No matter what lives we are leading now, there are always things to be grateful for and things to complain about.

It is almost entirely our choice how to go about life.

For most, that moves within a manageable range.

Things may generally work out better if we are on the “Gratitude” side.

However, do allow ourselves to come to the “Dark side” from time to time and even stay there for a bit. It is ok as long as we are not lost in it.

Most importantly, do not lose sight of our priorities. 


Till next time!

2 comments: