Thursday, July 14, 2022

Good Decision vs Good Outcomes

Photo by Towfiqu barbhuiya on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


Do good decisions mean good outcomes?

Yes and No!

Do good outcomes mean good decisions?

Again, Yes and No!

You might think I am just playing word games here.

But actually, they matter a lot.

Let me explain.

Photo by Jens Lelie on Unsplash

The interview did not work out. This is a bad outcome, because I did not get the job. 

But would that mean that my decision to prepare for it the day before was bad?

I woke up late but manged to rush to the important meeting just in time. This is a good outcome because technically I was not late for the meeting.

But would that mean that my decision to run the red light was good?

Photo by Kyle Glenn on Unsplash

I think you get the idea.

Good decisions do not always bring good outcomes. The same is true for bad decisions.

But if we ignore the specific cases and focus on the many repeated cases, we can say that:

  • Good decisions have a high probability in bringing good outcomes; The longer the horizon, the higher the probability
  • Bad decisions have a high probability in bringing bad outcomes; The longer the horizon, the higher the probability

So we should keep making good decisions and let time work its wonders.

 

Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment