Thursday, January 12, 2023

“Being a manager means you cannot always be the nice guy you want to be”

Photo by Redd F on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here! 


“Being a manager means you cannot always be the nice guy you want to be”

I have been told this a while back. But I kind of refused to accept it.

So I have been trying my best to deliver quality results while being nice, even though this often means I have to work extra hard and even though sometimes I do not even get the recognition/understanding for my good intention.

But just as all people who do not accept reality, I come to the pivotal point.

I start to push harder and demand more, while knowing that this is still within the reasonable range.

Photo by David Sjunnesson on Unsplash

I know it is the right thing to do.

After all, the success of the team depends on every member of the team doing their part. 

Otherwise, the team wont be as efficient or effective as it should be, even though some members are willing to take the extra load.

Just imagine when such a team goes head to head against another team which has a manager who can ensure everyone in his/her team does their part.

The first team will lost, no matter how hard the manager works.

And when that happens and everyone in that team loses their jobs, it is hard not to pin the manager on the failure board. How hard he works does not matter.

Photo by Hannah Busing on Unsplash

Again, I know that is the right thing to do, but what surprises me is team’s reaction.

There is no tough resistance. Some of them are even more motivated and happier.

They feedback that they have clearer idea on the expectation and what to do and are learning more. They have to work more, but it is worth it.

The outcome is that delivery improves and I work less.

Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

To ensure team productivity, there has to be someone in the team pushing the boundaries of possibility.

As the manager, there is no excuse.

A manager’s job is not to be a nice guy, but to lead the team to success.

To us all!


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment