Thursday, March 4, 2021

"If only one flower grows on the branch, it must bloom"

 

Photo by jurissa yanoria on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


Life goes on and shit jumps in all the time.

All the while, I have had no problem delivering work, but I have been really bad in caring about how people think about me.

I think that is the reason why I get frustrated and repel away the promotions that seems so rightfully mine.

However, recently I got feedback that I was too nice to push through certain things. 

Though it came as somewhat a surprise, the feedback made total sense.

I have been too passive in certain meetings just to avoid conflict. The potential cost is slow progress. 

I say “potential” because I really cannot be sure about the outcome if I have pushed aggressively. 

Possibly, things get done. 

Also possibly, I encounter greater push back and the relationship gets affected, which results in even slower progress, or worse, things going in opposite direction.

From my assessment, the probability for the latter to happen is bigger.

However, it does send the message that I am not actively pushing. And being passive is definitely not the way to get promoted.

There must be a way to achieve all of below:

  • I push actively
  • Progress is improved or not negatively affected at least
  • Working relationship is not affected

I know people who have done it.

I do not believe I am less qualified than them. 

But I was not even trying.

And that could be the difference between people who get promoted and people who do not.

There is a reason behind everything after all. And the reason might be more justified than we think.

Photo by Li Yang on Unsplash

I have been reading a novel which describes a batch of pioneers who made great things happen in different fields during the open-up of China. 

The tricks and conspiracies involved there were simply eye-opening and at the same time totally believable. 

If I could not handle the relatively less competitive environment here, maybe here is where I should stop and rightfully so.

Photo by Andriyko Podilnyk on Unsplash

I was once involved in a discussion on why people read novel. The point that stayed with me was to observe other people’s life and learn to deal with those situations including what to do and what to say and how others would feel in those situations.

In this sense, novel could be closer to real world than biography. Novel will always come from real life while biography tend to exaggerate the good aspects and hide or rephrase the other aspects.

In this sense, I have read too little novel and need to catch up.


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment