Thursday, September 3, 2020

"WANT" is a great thing!

 brown and white concrete house during daytime

Photo by Stephen Leonardi on Unsplash


Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here.


I hope to get a bit further in the journey of convincing you and myself that "Want" is a great thing.

turned on computer monitor with wireless keyboard and mouse

Photo by Abdul Barie on Unsplash

1. "Need vs Want"? Nah!

Many of you must have heard about the "Need vs Want" argument, which is usually used to teach people to cut down their spending and save part of their paycheck for rainy days and for future planning.

I acknowledge its merit, especially when it comes to the people with low self-control. 

And I have been a firm believer, simply because it totally aligns with my belief and my actions.

However, I think I have been too good at this, to a point where I feel unsatisfied with myself.

Ever since I was little, my parents have been telling me that we are poor and we need to be frugal. And I was a good kid. So I almost always went for the most basic version of the basics.

As I grew up, I gradually discovered that I was unable to exercise a proper manner of consumption


Is it Need or Want to have a desktop to play games? 

I do have a laptop that can run some games with less than 30 FPS at low graphic settings. So I think that is "Want".

And I further reinforce my argument with remotely related arguments:

- Playing game is bad. I should not spend too much time on that.

- The game is not that great any way. There is an older game which is similar that your laptop can run.

- Even if you get that desktop, the pleasure will fade away very soon, before you even realize it.

- You will have other problems to destroy the pleasure further. What about there is quality problems? You will have to go through all the troubles to fix it.

- ... ...

The result? 

I still spent time in gaming anyway but only get the discounted pleasure because of the lagging performance. 

On top of that, I spent more time reading about that desktop online. 

Worst of all, I consumed a huge amount of "self-discipline" in the process.

And of course, I started questioning myself why I cannot just get that desktop. And inevitably, I grew increasingly unsatisfied about myself.

And that negatively impacts almost everything in life.

Initially, I thought that was because I did not have enough money and I had to prepare for the future.

And then I realized that had nothing to do with how much money I had or did not have. And a thousand dollars wont have any noticeable impact in our financial standing either.

space gray iPhone X with box

Photo by Drew Coffman on Unsplash

2. "I envy those students who sell their kidneys for an iPhone!"

The point is that refraining ourselves too much from "Want" can hurt our ability and WILL to pursue what we desire and most importantly what we deserve.

We start to believe we do not deserve those and grow fearful of making efforts to get them.

But, what is wrong with "wanting" a luxury life, or a stupidly expensive toy, or success? Isn't that what majority of humans want? Isn't that what motivates us?

Do not become that guy who envies the students who sell their kidneys for an iPhone because he "wants" nothing and feels dead.


I recalled a English competition just before I started university.

My main competitor was a guy I did not like. But his English vocabulary was much bigger than mine.

And the competition tested on vocabulary. Basically, who could gather the most words in the shortest time would win. 

I wanted to beat him so much that I spent every evening memorizing words, even though I also wanted to watch movies or play games together with my peers.

On the day of the competition, the rule changed to allow cooperation. Many participants did not want to team up because they would have to split the rewards or simply because they did not care about winning. 

I found the first guy and told him that he could keep the rewards if we won, but the competition would be under my name. He agreed.

And my name came up as the third place. 

The guy I did not like? He was the second.

I did not beat him, but I think I managed to keep my face.

If I had not wanted to win so badly, I wont team up, let along give up the rewards. And If I had not teamed up, I probably wont stand a chance of being in the top 5.

Back then, I felt embarrassed when my peers came to congratulate me and I did not have the rewards.  

But if I think back now, I can only admire my commitment and bravery at that time! 

I cannot recall the last time I have wanted something this badly after that.

And I can only imagine how much more I would have achieved if I kept that commitment.


Therefore, what matters is your action.

"WANT" is a great thing if you can use it to push yourself into commitment and the fighting mode and stay there.

If you do not act and only "want", maybe you should let it go just to have a more peaceful life.

silhouette of person fist during sunset

Photo by Richard Felix on Unsplash

3. Successful people wont struggle upon "Need vs Want". They simply focus on getting what they want.

Look at all those successful and young high-level management and entrepreneurs. They all have a strong desire and clear and ambitious goal and they relentlessly work to achieve them.

- Trying everything to secure the funding

- Advocating their vision like a mad man

- Stalking their clients to the washroom

- ... ...

So stop pretending that you do not care.

If you want something, go and get it! This is only way to live!


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment