Tuesday, December 27, 2022

2022 Year-End Summary

Photo by JESHOOTS.COM on Unsplash

Dear Readers,

Thank you for coming here!


If I look back at 2022 a few years later, I suppose it would be significant to me. As we approach the end of 2022, I would like to write a quick summary for it.

2022 started with an excitement(1) for me, but that excitement quickly turned into a long, hard and miserable struggle(2), which caused me self-doubt(3) but also pushed me to rethink about a lot of things(4) in life. Just when all that misery peaked and I started wondering how I could ever get out of it(5), I was extremely lucky to land on my feet(6) in the last month of 2022, which granted me a new start(7) in 2023.

Photo by Riley McCullough on Unsplash

1.Excitement 

I got the opportunity in late 2021 and I was more than ready to shine coming into 2022. 

The opportunity seemed perfect to me in every way possible. I emphasized to myself repeatedly how perfect it was and I was ready to stay for life. 

I still remember optimistically predicting that we would have a good chance hitting our 40/40 target in 2022 at the beginning of the year. 

I was excited and confident coming into 2022.

Photo by Radu Florin on Unsplash

2.Struggle

I started to struggle in February when I got on a new project. 

I really wanted to make it and gave my best. This also caused me to take everything on myself. 

After working for like 20 hours a day for almost 2 months, the result was that people thought I had a skill gap and I started to doubt myself. 

I was given another chance, but again same struggle. 

I pushed and pushed, refusing to give up or give in, relying almost solely on willpower. But the more I insisted, the bigger the resistance seemed.

Photo by Naassom Azevedo on Unsplash

3.Self-doubt

The situation seemed hopeless and I was in deep self-doubt and despair. 

I started to lose myself. 

On one hand, I accepted people’s comments about me, no matter whether they were appropriate or justified. I just did not have the stamina or courage to argue. 

On the other hand, I could not help doubting people’s intention. I had always been a guy who assumed best intention of others. But I could no longer keep myself on the “best intention” path at that time. 

What’s worse, I also lost all judgement. I could not tell what comments were good for me or for my sake and what comments were not…

I was a mess by July and decided it was best to walk away.

Photo by Jill Heyer on Unsplash

4.Rethinking about a lot of things

After I walked away, I started to look for a new path and at the same time, I got the break I needed. 

I did not actively or deliberately think over what happened, I just waited to let things sink in. Gradually, different perspectives came to me, some of which were completely opposite to what I had believed in. 

I started to re-think about the real meaning of life and re-evaluate the importance of money and how much I really needed. I thought about social dynamics, being smart vs dump, hard work vs smart work etc etc.

This lasted for 4.5 months. I experienced countless rounds of emotional roller coaster. But I needed this recovery period.

Photo by nikko macaspac on Unsplash

5.Wondering how I could ever get out of it

By Oct, I started to panic and wonder whether I would ever find my new path. 

After a few seemingly-sure-win opportunities did not work out, that panic and self-doubt got worse. Even though my wife was so understanding and only comforted me, not adding a single bit of pressure, the pressure inevitably built up. 

I started to reset my expectations and was ready to compromise more. Nevertheless, there was not much I could do. That feeling was not good at all!

Photo by Matt Duncan on Unsplash

6.Landing on my feet

The opportunity finally came. 

It was not perfect in a lot of ways, compared to the previous one which I could not grasp. But it gave me the chance to start over. 

I compromised for it, prepared for it and pushed for it. The most important thing was that I got it. 

And believe it or not, I had more opportunities knocking afterwards. I guess that was the irony of life. 

But I felt extremely lucky!

Photo by Benjamin Davies on Unsplash

7.A new start

After a few weeks, the opportunity seemed good. I again have a new start for next year. I can even say that I am again excited for next year. 

But I will be more prepared this time, speeding up my learning and growth, and at the same time, anticipating signs of danger so that I do not walk into the same struggle.

Photo by Angèle Kamp on Unsplash

2022, to me, was everything but meaningless. Like all my frustrations before, I am sure I will feel fortunate having experienced 2022, if I look back a few years later.


Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment